Friday, March 5, 2010

Me thinks that they protest overmuch

I read a website called Customers Suck.

Many times, I'll go over there and amaze myself on how much of an entitlement whore the average shopper can be. How they get inflamed and enraged over the fact that the store had the audacity to end the sale on they day they said they were going to.

All of this to spite the Entitlement Whore who was too lazy to go to the store when the sale was on in the first place.

You know...that sort of thing.

However there are times when I get sick of the people posting the stories. The people who are the victims of the douchebaggery and the poor attitudes of the customers. Sometimes I think they might be bringing the problems upon themselves.

Case in point. A post today that I read stated that "Normally I don't consider this sucky, but it was the sedond time that day I was asked this" in regards to someone wanting to know why a specific item wasn't available in the store and had to be ordered.

First of all. When I (for example) ask why something isn't stocked, I would like an answer. It doesn't have to be complex, it doesn't have to pander to my whims. A simple "We don't stock it because we only sell two of these a year if we're lucky."

I can accept that as an answer. Really, I can.

Secondly, I'm not there at the store all day. I am not privy to all the questions asked of you. If I come in and ask a question that has been asked a dozen times before, I am simply looking for an answer. I'm sorry if you're sick of the question, but unless you put up a sign that states "I've been asked the question [insert question here] multiple times today, the answer is [answer], please do not ask this of me anymore.", then I have no way of knowing that you're irritated by the question.

Just as a thought, maybe putting up a sign might not be a bad idea. If you have a sale flyer out there that states that something that is popular (and something that I also want) is on drastic reduction, then I'm going to come into your store, spend a few minutes looking for said item, then give up and ask if you have any in stock.

Now I know that many times if it's not on the floor, it might not be in the store anymore. But in light of the fact that sale items are often moved where they can be watched by store personnel, or placed next to an item that complements (and that you're using the sale item as a loss leader for) it...I might be justified in asking if you have the item and where would it be located in the store.

I do not give two hoots in hell if you have been asked the question a billion times that day. Maybe you should place the item in a more "easy to find" location in the case that you do have tons of the item, or a sign that states that "Sorry, we're out of..." in the event that you do not.

How do I know that you sold the last item the day before? How do I know that people have also been asking you all day?

I don't, so I ask.

Asking doesn't make me a sucky customer no matter how many times you've heard the question. It's my attitude that determines my level of suck. If I shrug, thank you, maybe ask if I can order one at the sale price and pick it up when it comes in, then go on my merry way...then I am not. If I get all pissy and scream, bitch and moan about it to the universe at large...then I am.

Get over it, people ask questions. That's how we find out stuff. If you don't like it, find a job that doesn't involve other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment